Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Missing Mr L. - My VJC days...

Received an email from my VJC TSD teacher few days ago. He replied to my invitation to "Just Judee" mini concert/showcase (just to plug this in again, it's June 15th @ Timbre Substation, S$15 per ticket, 730pm to 930pm), and yes he will be coming!! I am so so delighted. He will be bringing his wife too. Mr & Mrs Lofty :)

Hey Tsdians who are reading this, esp my batch one. Lofty will be there so will seat you people around him ok! :) 

Mr L also mentioned in his email that he will be leaving SG for good in December (shock shock horror horror). I was very sad to hear that lor!!! Althou' I don't see him much, AT ALL, he will always have a special place in my heart.

Mr L was the one who introduced me to the world of the magical theatre, & out of this harsh and sometimes deluded reality. He taught me what theatre really is, and should, and gave me valuable lessons on philosophy of life, of living, of expression, of liberation, of practising my art. Before knowing Lofty, I never questioned my existence. I had a really tough time coming to terms with this new perspective, and at that time i was thinking "this bloody CAO ANGMOH! Come to my country and twist my brains here & there!" so for quite sometime i really despised and detested him lor. But of 'cos all that changed soon after and I truly begin to understand that there is a much bigger world out of my immediate surroundings/environment. My life changed from that point onwards.... and as they say 'the rest is history'....

I remember sitting alone in the VJC canteen, alone, eating my favourite Nasi Briyani that was simply simply fabulous la. i put on 7 kg during my 1st 2 weeks in VJ lor! ANyway, to carry on w my story... 

I remember sitting alone in the VJC canteen eating my Favourite Nasi Briyani & Harris comes along. Harris is this other cao angmoh who teaches Literature in VJ. He loves literature but he also loves producing babies lor. I think he has like 4 kids, all one after the other. Very aspiring. 
Why do i keep digressing?!?!?! OK Let me try again!

I remember sitting alone in the VJC canteen eating my favourite Nasi Briyani & Harris comes along and plops himself comfortably beside me. We started chatting and me, being the rebel without a cause juvenile delinquent with a 'Sia L*n' face, I told him I really didn't like the fact that I had so much to think, and that I seem to think about different stuff from people around me. That I felt almost ostracised by my own society. He then told me smth, which will stay with me forever, and serve as a reminder when I question my own thoughts.

Harris, in his quaint English accent & doing his best to convince me - "Judy. It doesn't hurt to have a brain" 

Lofty ever said smth during one of his lectures, that stuck on to me and served as a reminder in my journey and exploration as a performer.

Lofty, in a more standard English accent & in an all-knowing tone - "You are only as good as your last performance"

So yeah doctrines in life, these words have become. And now speaking like Yoda, I have become. 

I will be looking forward to seeing Mr L on June 15th :)
For now.. i need to get my hands on Harris & bug him to come with his big family.... now where's that English bugger.....



No comments: